Monday, January 10, 2011

Reflective essay


Overall, my creative process was stifled by my inexperience with Maya.  I found myself becoming frustrated by the technicalities of learning the application, and I quickly realized how limited I was in terms of what shapes I could work with.  I have a better understanding now, why this assignment was termed “Blockville”.
One discovery that I made working through this project was the importance of acknowledging symmetry in the composition.  For example, if parts of a building need to be identical, it is a good idea to first complete the desired part (perhaps a pillar, or wall), prior to duplicating it one hundred times.  I found this to be particularly important when I started working on Blockville 2, where the entire building was made up of just a few identical shapes. 
I think that Blockville 2 is my best image.  I really like the perspectives.  I had keep going back and rework the size and proportions of things relative to the camera angle, and so it became clear to me how important it was to set up the camera at the start if I wanted the image outcome to truly be representative of the original piece of art.  I knew the scene was finished when this actually happened, and it did in fact look and feel somewhat like the original.   

No comments:

Post a Comment