Sunday, October 10, 2010

Project 2: Toy


Stimpy!

            I chose Stimpy, from the cartoon series Ren and Stimpy, because he left a profound impact on my psyche when I was young.  I like Stimpy, he is a simple character, and not only in appearance.  The simplicity of his appearance, did however, make it easy for me to keep my palette limited.  I took an image from the web, copied from the shapes and replicated colors with the eyedropper tool. 
            I started with the majority of colors, red for most of the body and head.  Then I colored the belly of the torso white, and copied and pasted Stimpy’s face from the image that I took.  I used the eraser and brush tools to adjust a few details around the head, and then drew in some ears and creases on the belly to finish it.  If I had more time and know how, to make it more accurate, I would have created the ears and perhaps the tong from separate pieces of paper.  Ren is next!
            I could agree with Chris Beaumont’s statement that Cubeecraft "appeals to a visceral need to build, and a cultural need to represent our ideas in abbreviated fashion".  Our culture is becoming lazy, less and less hands on, more automated all the time; with all the technological advancements, we are less likely to interact with our world in any real physical sense.  So it is refreshing to take the flat and intangible into our three dimensional reality.  And, in an age where information is rampant, and life can seem so complex, it is quite nice to break things down to their simplest form of expression.

No comments:

Post a Comment